Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Strictly disappointing

Don't laugh, but I'm quite keen on Strictly Come Dancing. Where I work, we're all desperate to get our hands on some tickets to see a show, or at least we have been previously.

The new batch of celebrities has been announced for the 2009 incarnation of the show and, personally, I'm a little underwhelmed.

I imagined that the show was now so popular all the big names would want to participate, a little like the Morecambe & Wise Show in the 70s. In truth the 2009 line-up is C-list at best - indeed the biggest names taking part are now the dancers themselves. What a disappointment.

One can only assume that 'big-name' celebrities are either too busy or reluctant to allow the general public to see the 'real' them. What a shame. Strictly is a great show but it does need a little real celeb sparkle, at least initially.

This year, my favourites are likely to be BBC sports presenter Chris Hollins and Ola Jordan; Laila Rouass (despite the fact I've never heard of her) and Anton du Beke, because he's a top bloke; Darren Bennett and Lynda Bellingham, because I've fancied her since I was a kid; or the ex-wife of a celebrity, Jo Wood, and her partner Strictly 'bad boy' Brendan Cole, because I interviewed him recently and, off-set, he's a different, very affable guy.

When the show was launched a few years ago, our company was representing then world darts champion Andy Fordham, and the show's production company wanted him to participate. We thought it would be a great opportunity for him, but he declined. Given his subsequent health scares it was probably a good decision, but he would certainly have been the John Sergeant of his day.

For 2010, I'd like to volunteer the services of a fat blogger and journalist; I'm even more of a non-entity than those taking part this year so I should fit the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment