Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I just want a holiday...

It’s all too much.

Many years ago when I first booked a holiday with my then girlfriend, we sent off for some brochures, decided a place in Paignton looked OK, and went there for a week.

OK, we were above the hotel’s nightclub but you soon got used to listening to Haircut 100 and Modern Romance at 2am.

Nowadays, the information superhighway presents you with so many more options, so that when my wife and I look for a holiday in Turkey, there’s just too much to take in.

I now find myself looking at video reviews of the hotel and finding stuff to criticise: like the fence being a bit ‘POW Camp’ – what are they trying to keep out? Or the fact there only appears to be one slide into the pool which means the kids will be moaning about queueing.

And if there’s no video to view, pasting the name of the hotel into Tripadvisor.com throws up tales of woe about how the concierge turned into a werewolf every Friday night and regurgitated lobster to entertain the kids.

There’s just far too much choice and information.

I just want a nice peaceful hotel, with swimming pools and a nearby beach and some decent weather thrown in.

Is it too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment