Tuesday, March 02, 2010

BBC report - could do better apparently

Mark Thompson's admission that the BBC will close various parts of the organisation to concentrate on doing "fewer things better" has been met with pleasure and pain - at least in my head.

The thought that the Beeb could start making some decent programmes again while dumping all the tedious reality TV effluent, brought a smile to my face.

I was, however, disappointed to learn that BBC6 radio is under threat. I don't listen to it very often but when I do I find it far superior to the vacuous nonsense churned out by Radio1. And I would imagine a lot of people will feel similarly disposed to the BBC Asian Network. I've always been partial to a bit of bhangra meself...

I'm just glad that the excellent BBC7 has apparently escaped the cull. But as much of its programming is repeats of classic radio series I would imagine it's quite cheap to produce. The ideal radio station one would imagine.

Perhaps BBC3 TV should be turned over solely to re-runs of classic comedies and dramas, providing a popular yet cost-effective channel. It'd be great to see things like Colditz, Secret Army, The Brothers, and Are You Being Served etc again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment