Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cynical but getting greener

I just love the opportunity to be cynical; after all I’m a journalist.

So I was interested to see the press release today about a thing called the Low Carbon Festival later this year.

It said: “Visitors and residents alike will have the ultimate excuse to visit Exmoor and Dartmoor this October as the South West’s National Parks host the very first Dartmoor & Exmoor Low Carbon Festival from 9-12th October (www.lowcarbonfestival.co.uk).”

Great. A festival about lowering carbon emissions. I think I’ll fly down to Plymouth Airport from Newcastle for that. Or maybe jump in my Audi A4 and drive down.

(Actually I live in Hampshire, not Newcastle, but I needed to stress my point).

Admittedly, the travel section of the website does say: “Please consider the many sustainable options for travel by using public transport or car sharing whenever possible.”

But then it still gives instructions on how to get there by air!

Maybe this wouldn’t have registered on my cynical barometer a month ago, but as I mentioned in a previous blog I’m currently reading Mark Watson’s Crap at the Environment (CATE), and I’ve suddenly become much more aware of things like this. I’m even half-filling kettles for the office coffees, not leaving my phone charger on overnight and walking to work.

Like Mark, I’m still CATE but I’m becoming more aware . . . and it would appear, more cynical.

No comments:

Post a Comment