Friday, September 11, 2009

Is it me?

I can’t be alone in finding the timbre and inflection of Robert Peston’s voice irritating.

The BBC’s business editor pops up on all forms of the corporation’s digital platform – web, radio and TV – and on each occasion he comes on I find I lose interest in the subject matter because I’m constantly bewildered by the apparent arbitrary nature of his vocal chords.

I detest the rising inflection so beloved of teenagers because of their over-exposure to Aussie soap operas at an early age? I’m at a loss to understand why every sentence they utter should sound like a question?

You know what I mean – admittedly it doesn’t become too apparent in a blog, but we’ve all heard it?

But at least that’s only at the end of a sentence. Peston’s delivery pauses at inappropriate times, stresses words seemingly at random and never gives the impression he’s actually imparting a serious piece of news.

This morning for instance he was talking about the bosses of MG Rover, who awarded themselves an obscene £42m in salaries and bonuses before taking the company down the tubes with the loss of 6,500 jobs.

I know this because I saw it on the
BBC website and not because of Peston. When he spoke on Radio 4 on the subject earlier today I once again found myself mesmerised my his erratic speech patterns while remaining largely ill-informed.

I wonder is there a society out there for like-minded Peston sufferers?

2 comments:

  1. It's not only me then! Peston is one of many media types who just seem to be wrapped up in their own personality. Add to this list Jeremy Vine and Penny Smith, plus I was going to mention Ashley Blake from up here in the midlands, but he's just started a two-year stretch inside courtesy of some unorthodox parasol combat, so doesn't count.

    But back to Peston - I really do hate the man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think his mannerisms are in inverse proportion to the amount of useful information he has to impart. He drives me bonkers - even more so after having an entire episode of Panorama dedicated to him.

    ReplyDelete